After the last reviews, we notice that a lot of people are also paying attention to Tandem Sit-On-Top Kayaks.
Most people really love using them because they are super friendly with new kayakers.
Whether you want to save some money, to paddle faster or to have fun with your friends and family members, you will most likely find them super friendly for everyone.
As this type of kayak belongs to the Tandem section, we don’t talk much about them here. You should take a look at our best tandem kayak reviews for every single detail.
We will do the best to explain the most important factors in short, as well as some mistakes you could do while using them.
We will also list out their features, pros, cons, and specifications so you can easily know which is the best for you.
The Best Tandem Sit-On-Top Kayaks of 2018 (Reviewed)
- Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin 130T 13-foot
- Sun Dolphin Bali 13.5-Foot
- BKC UH-TK219 Tandem Sit-On-Top Kayak
- Intex Explorer K2 Kayak Sit-On-Top 2-Person Kayak
- Ocean Kayak Malibu Two 12-Feet Tandem Sit-On-Top
Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin 130T 13-foot Tandem Sit-On-Top Kayak
No products found.
- Length: 13′
- Width: 35″
- Weight: 80 lbs
- Capacity: 500 lbs
- Paddlers: Up to 3 paddlers.
- Material: Single piece high density Polyethylene
- Warranty: LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
- Can carry up to 3 people (2 adults and 1 child). Weight capacity is 500 lbs in total.
- Specifically designed for fishing, long travels, and recreational purpose.
- Lots of mounting points and rod holders.
- Can be used solo with ease.
- Lots of storage compartments: Sealed hatches, rear tank with bungee tied down, bow cargo bungee.
- Comfortable seats with backrest and footrests.
The Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin 130T 13-foot is made with a ton of features.
This is probably the one with the most features, and of course the highest price, in this page.
If you are seriously looking for a high-end kayak with loads of deluxe features, this would be the best one for the money!
One of the most outstanding features we love about this kayak is its unique footrest. They are perfectly designed and adjustable, giving you the maximum comfort even when you paddle with two others, whatever your height is.
Beside the footrests, this kayak comes up with 2 Vibe Hero Seats, which are fully adjustable and designed especially for super long kayaking trips.
2 sealed hatches with bag inserts are the other precious feature which will come in handy in any long trip, especially fishing trips. They are big enough to store all of your food, electric devices or anything you want to keep them absolutely dry.
The rear tankwell and bow cargo come up with a bungee system, giving you extra storage for carrying large stuffs like cooler or camping gears.
The kayak is made from a single piece, high-quality polyethylene, so you can ensure it will last for dozens of years even in rough weathers.
With the limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty, just bring it to the manufacturer to clean and maintain whenever you have spare time so it will be always in the best condition.
Sun Dolphin Bali 13.5-Foot
- Length: 13 1/2′ (412 cm)
- Width: 34″ (86 cm)
- Height: 17″ / 43cm
- Weight: 70 lbs. / 32kg
- Capacity: 500 lbs. / 227kg
- Can carry up to 3 persons.
- Middle seat position for kayaking solo.
- Adjustable and comfortable padded seats with high backrest and adjustable foot braces.
- A self-bailing system to keep you always dry.
- Lots of storage hatches and compartments.
- Well designed carrying handles.
- Paddle holders.
Sun Dolphin is always the first name we want to mention when talking about tandem sit-on-top kayaks.
Undoubtedly, this is the best one for the price. It offers the top-notch quality at an affordable price. It is excellent for both experienced kayakers or beginners.
A lot of people love the Sun Dolphin Bali 13.5-Foot because it has just a lot of storage.
There are 2 huge sealed storage compartments right in front of the 2 main seats. The rear storage has deck rigging which will also come in handy in just so many situations.
There is also a smaller sealed hatch in the middle, right in front of the middle seat for additional storage.
For the maximum comfort, this kayak offers the adjustable seats with high backrest and foot braces, which can only be seen on expensive kayaks.
The foot braces are especially very helpful If you want to use the kayak solo by sitting in the middle seat.
The middle is normally a jump seat for the 3rd person, which is normally a child because it’s a molded pretty small plastic seat. This makes it amazing for family trips.
Since this is a sit-on-top, you can easily dump water out. It also has a self-bailing system so you don’t need to worry If you are a beginner.
For more other features, take a look at the features tab above!
BKC UH-TK219 Sit On Top Tandem Kayak
- Weight: 68 lbs.
- Max Weight Capacity: 440 lbs.
- Length: 12’2″
- Seating Capacity: 2-3 Person
- UV Protection
- Material: High-density polyethylene
- Warranty: 5-year Limited Warranty
- 6 Rod Holders.
- Waterproof Storage Hatches.
- Paddle Rests
- Large cargo Arena
- The carrying handles
If you love fishing with your partner or your family members at the weekend on a tandem sit-on-top kayak, this should be your ultimate choice.
This kayak is big and strong enough to carry up to 2 adults and 1 kid at once. You will have an amazing weekend with your family or your partner!
The hull is broad, has deep channels for maximum speed and stability. The angular bow design provides better speed while tracking.
Even If you are a beginner, you will find it extremely easy to control and use this kayak.
This kayak is exclusively designed for fishing purposes. It has tons of premium fishing features. That’s why it was mentioned as one of the best tandem fishing kayaks in our last reviews.
- It has up to 6 holders for your fishing rods (2 adjustable and 4 flush-mount ones), giving you the maximum chance of catching fishes.
- Waterproof Storage for storing your food, clothes, electric devices and the others. One is at the front and one is at the back.
- Paddle Rests help keep your paddles when not in use. They will even get safely kept on rough waters.
- Large cargo area at the back with bungee tie-down straps give you extra storage for huge gears.
- The carrying handles are well designed so you can easily carry this tandem sit-on-top kayak. Two people can transport it effortlessly!
All of the best features are mentioned above in the Features section. You can read the guide we mentioned for more details.
All in all, it should always be a perfect choice for you If you really enjoy fishing!
Intex Explorer K2 Kayak Sit-On-Top 2-Person Kayak
- Type: Tandem Sit-on-Top
- Dimensions: 10’3″ x 3′ x 1’8″
- Weight: 31.13 lb
- Weight Capacity: 400 lb (180 kg)
- Package Contains: 86 in. Aluminum Oars, Carry Bag, Hi-Output Manual Hand Pump, Repair Kit.
- Excellent for using on rivers and lakes.
- Streamlined design for beginners.
- Adjustable seats with backrests.
- Removable skeg
- Large open cockpit.
- Sporty skin for great visibility.
- Carrying handles on both ends.
- Notable inflatable I-beam floor for maximum comfort and rigidity.
The Intex Explorer K2 is a very popular inflatable sit-on-top tandem kayak on the market.
Although it’s super cheap, it’s still extremely remarkable among the other high-end ones.
It offers just too many incredible features for the money.
Being an inflatable kayak, you can easily transport and store it in your backpack, which is also included when buying this kayak.
By using the pump which is also coming up with it, you can easily inflate it in just a few minutes. Easy peasy. Having a rigid kayak right inside your backpack is insane!
Since it’s inflatable, it is not recommended to use this kayak with whitewater If you are still a beginner. You might also get pendulous a bit If the currents are stronger and faster than normal.
This is when the removable skeg comes in handy. Simply attach it to the kayak to give it the extra stability.
Of course, because of the price, you can’t compare it with the more expensive ones.
However, If you occasionally use kayaks and looking for a cheap one for recreational purposes mainly, this should be the best one for you!
Ocean Kayak Malibu Two 12-Feet Tandem Sit-On-Top
- Material: Single Layer Polyethylene
- Length: 12′ (3.7 m)
- Width: 34″ (86.4 cm)
- Max Weight Capacity: 425 lbs (192.8 kg)
- Bow Seat Width: 18.5″ (47 cm)
- Bow Leg Length: 44″ (111.8 cm)
- Stern Seat Width: 20.25″ (51.4 cm)
- Stern Leg Length: 42″ (106.7 cm)
- Center Seat Width: 16.25″ (41.3 cm)
- Can be used by either one or two paddlers.
- 2 super comfortable seats with backrest.
- 3 molded-in seat wells, the middle is for kayaking solo.
- Skid plate
- Screw-in drain plug
- Outstanding gear straps.
- Well designed overlapping foot wells.
- Toggle handles on both stern and bow.
Next, on the list, we have the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two.
This is the most lightweight and compact tandem sit-on-top kayak in the world.
It is exclusively designed for long family kayaking adventures.
It’s one of the smallest kayaks on this list. Thus, it’s ideal for people who are looking for a tiny kayak that fits small cars/garage, or just for the favorite.
Normally, If you are taller than 6.5″ (2 meters), kayaks which are small like this will not really have enough space for you to comfortably use them.
However, this kayak is a tandem sit-on-top, you will have enough space whether it’s 2 people. Not to mention that you always can use this kayak solo and enjoy all of those space alone haha.
The third seat in the middle is designed for kid or pet. It’s pretty small for an adult. However, it turns out that this kayak is perfect for your family trips!
Smaller kayaks are always easier to handle and also easier to carry into/out of the water.
Most people love this kayak due to its well-designed seats with high backrest. They fully contour your body, giving you the maximum comfort for whatever activity you do on the kayak, from paddling to fishing.
This makes the Malibu Two perfect for long kayaking trips.
Tandem Sit-On-Top Kayak Buying Guide
Here we go in more details!
At first, we want to make it clear that all of the kayaks above are definitely the best ones on the market right now.
However, If you want to know more about them or want to see what are the factors we use to qualify them, you will enjoy reading this buying guide!
Why Tandem Sit-On-Top Kayak?
As you might already know, there are 2 main designs of tandem kayaks, which are sit-on-top and sit-inside. Each type has its own features, pros, and cons.
Sit-inside kayak is the traditional design while sit-on-top is the new one, which is a lot easier to use for most casual kayakers.
Tandem Sit-On-Top Cockpits are large and open to the air so anyone can easily get in, out and sit on top with ease.
If somehow the water gets onto your kayak, you can easily flip it to drain. The best models even have the self-bailing system to keep them always dry.
They have some advantages over the sit-inside kayaks and are mostly for recreational uses. They are best at this.
If you love traveling around on the lakes, river, or love having lazy weekend days on the water, fishing with your family, they are the best for you.
Also, I want to ask you these questions before purchasing the kayak:
- Do you want to use the kayak in the winter? Most of the time, If you want to use the kayak during those cold winter days, you would better buy a sit-inside kayak. It will definitely keep you and your family warmer, also will prevent your bodies from losing heat too fast.
- Will you use it on calm water? If you are going to use the kayak on calm waters, like lakes or slow rivers, the sit-on-top tandem is the best choice for you. That being said, it will not be doing well on whitewater.
Make Sure You Have Enough Storage!
Most people think that tandem is designed for 2 people using it at once so they always have enough space for storing stuff as twice as normal.
This is not always true.
Some are not designed with room for gears, like the 2 Intex Explorer K2 above. They are mainly just for pure recreational uses.
Of course, you can just put some things on the kayak with you but it will be not comfortable to sit on it, also, they might get wet or get dump into the water If you face some strong waves.
So If you always want to carry a lot of gears for the trip, make sure to purchase the kayaks that have enough storage.
Kayaks offer different kinds of storage compartments. The shock cord and deck lashing are the most traditional ones.
If you want to keep your gears safely and dry, buy ones that have hatches. They are waterproof, which are always necessary.
In addition, some kayaks have small storage and hangers so you can have an instant access to your frequently used gears during the trips.
The Lenght of the Kayak
Seems like not very important, however, it does.
You should know that tandem kayaks are always longer than the normal ones.
Also, make sure you are able to transport them If you want to purchase the rigid ones. You can easily take the inflatable kayaks to anywhere so we don’t have to mention them here.
In addition, you need to know that the longer your kayak is, the harder it is to control it. So If you are a beginner, don’t purchase the super long ones.
In short, make sure you have enough space to store them in your garage and to carry it with your car.
Should I Buy The Inflatable Kayak?
A lot of people love inflatable kayaks because of the price and the portability.
You can easily put them in your backpack or your backseat and then by just inflating it in a few minutes, you will have a very rigid kayak with durable materials ready for the weekend.
They are very easy to use and reliable. Some of them even have tons of features like any other high-end rigid kayaks.
So, If your needs are nothing really special, you just want to purchase a durable kayak for your recreational weekend trips with the family, or you don’t have enough space for storing them, inflatable sit-on-top 2-person kayaks are the best choice for you!
We believe that you have found the best tandem sit-on-top kayak for you from the list above.
We did our best to choose and pick out the greatest ones on the market right now, so you can rest assured that they are excellent for any skill level and also for the money.
For whatever your need is, they should be perfect for you.
Also, hopefully, we have given you some great knowledge of the kayak you love.
Don’t hesitate to comment below If you have any advice or suggestion. All questions are also welcome!